Playlist


Saturday, January 26, 2008

Movie Suggestions

Mostly for Judy's "Netflix" queue, but everyone should see these.


Coffee and Cigarettes
A series of 11 shorts from director Jim Jarmusch. Crazy-awesome cast, including Roberto Benigni, Steven Wright, Steve Buscemi, Iggy Pop, and Bill Murray. Very funny in a subtle way.

Hot Fuzz
My favorite comedy ever. The same guys who did Shaun of The Dead. Hilarious.

Citizen Kane
A classic. Look at every film critic's top ten list. It's always on there.

Life is Beautiful (La Vita e Bella)
An Italian film (yes, it's subtitled) written by, directed by, and starring Roberto Benigni. This movie was only the second time someone had directed themselves in an Oscar-winning performance. A perfect example of a drama/comedy.

Little Miss Sunshine
A more recent example of a drama/comedy, and one of my favorite movies ever.



Also, Judy, Netflix has a good selection of music DVDs. For instance, they have all three of the Primus DVDs, which are great.

There's also this documentary I'm dying to see about Captain Beefheart, one of the most influential (and interesting) musicians of his time. Very eccentric person, one of the only true artists in music. Actually, "Simpsons" creator, Matt Groening, is a big fan of his.

So, there's a bunch of things to watch. They're all great.

Tyler

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

"Little Miss Sunshine" is one of my fav movies.....

Jason Reagan said...

Don't forget "The Big Lebowski" — one of the funniest of the Coen Brothers genre. Kind of like a Dortmunder book on film.

"I don't roll on Shomar Shabbis!" Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.

The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...
Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

The Dude: Walter, he peed on my rug!

That rug really tied the room together

The Dude: Did you ever hear of "The Seattle Seven"?

Maude Lebowski: Mmm.


The Dude: That was me... and six other guys.

•••••••

The Dude: Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.

***********

The Big Lebowski: Isn't that what makes a man?

The Dude: Mmm, sure. That and a pair of testicles.

*******



OTHERS
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The Last Samurai

Tyler said...

The Big Lebowski has a Captain Beefheart song in it!!!!

Judy said...

I moved "Little Miss Sunshine" up on my delivery list. Today I'm getting "Fracture" starring Anthony Hopkins.
Tyler, "Pan's Labyrinth" surely has to be on your top ten.That was an awesome moomie!
Still one of my favorites is "Gladiator". When he swings those double swords and cuts that guy's head off, I get cold chills everytime.
Thanks for the tips,I'll work on those.
I've seen the "Big Lebowski" but I remember very little about it. Strange how some stick with you and others you can hardly remember the title.

Jason Reagan said...

I just heard Apple will be offering movie rentals via iTunes that can be downloaded to a Mac or PC or to an iPod. The movies apparently stop playing after a set time period.

I bet hackers will find ways to unlock that immediately.

Tyler said...

Hackers wouldn't waste their time stealing movies from iTunes. It would be far easier to just steal it someplace else. I had Pan's Labyrinth way before it came out on DVD. Still bought it though, worth the money.

Tyler said...

and yes, Judy, Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorites, but I didnt put it on there because i knew you had already seen it.